Age UK County Durham wants to ensure older people are fully prepared for the winter months ahead. As part of its annual ‘Keep warm, Keep well’ campaign the charity has five top tips to stay warm this winter
1. Keep warm at home (bedrooms 64°F/18°C and living room 70°F/21°C). Use a thermostat or room thermometer.
2. Keep bedroom windows shut at night. Breathing cold air can increase the risk of chest infections.
3. When indoors stay active and try not to sit still for more than an hour. Walk around or make a hot drink.
4. Eat well, especially in winter. Have at least one hot meal a day and have hot drinks to keep warm. Stock up on basics in case of a cold snap.
5. If you need advice about entitlements or benefits contact Age UK County Durham on 0191 386 3856 www.ageukcountydurham.org.uk