Kirsty joined the Come Eat Together team last year and, after shadowing experienced workers is celebrating successful delivery of her first solo delivery of our fun and interactive course. Here is her blog!
“I have just finished delivering my first ‘Healthy Eating for Older People’ course with a lovely group of ladies and gents at St Andrews Church Hall, Brandon. They were a fantastic group, and I had a great time delivering the sessions over 5 weeks with them.”
“Our course is different from other courses because it explores healthy eating purely from an older person’s perspective. Although it is a course, it is really 4 or 5 sessions learning about, talking about and tasting food! I loved hearing the views and stories that members of the group shared. One member works in a local supermarket and she told us she’s now looking at food in a new light!”
Our Healthy Eating for Older People course includes the following:
- What makes a balanced, tasty and interesting diet so you can eat well and feel great!
- Our changing nutritional needs as we get older and how we can ‘tweak’ our diets to meet individual needs
- Practical tips and suggestions for those who are struggling to eat enough, or need to lose some weight
- What is a ‘Portion size’ for different types of food
- Safe food storage and preparation
- Simple demonstrations and food tastings
- Sources of useful information about food and diet appropriate to older people.
We do all this while having fun, tasting lots of different delicious foods, and putting a healthier spin on some favourite recipes.
“I really enjoyed tasting new foods that I may not have bought myself because I didn’t want to waste money buying food that I wasn’t sure I liked”
“I thoroughly enjoyed being part of the course. We learned some really useful information, but had lots of laughs and fun while doing so”
“I learned lots of hints, tips and useful information, not only about my diet but about safe food storage and preparation”
“I cook for a local lunch club, and I used the dessert recipe you demonstrated for us……and it went down a treat!”
Below is a short film about our course.
If you think you would like to join us on our next Healthy Eating Course for Older People or for us to hold a course in your community, please get in touch with us!
Tel: 0191 374 6577